Get in Shape With David
Your Basket is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should receive an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Basket
|Posted on 9 January, 2014 at 0:00|
If you love mac 'n cheese, consider this alternative: replacing the macaroni with cauliflower.
Yep, that simple — and that tasty.
Mac-and-Cheese Style Cauliflower
- 8 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside.
- Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and egg yolks until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.
- Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.
Amount Per 1-cup serving:
Total fat 16g